Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Not much new.

So there isn't much "new" to write about in the realm of fatherhood.  Fiona hasn't changed too much, and is still very much a sleep/poop/crying machine.

I can take a minute (since she's sleeping ;) ) to write about the "old" a bit.  It's been about 8 months since Kim layed the news on me that we were going to be parents.  As is normal with most folks, I ended up holding onto the kitchen table for a few minutes trying to catch my breath.  I was also nursing a slight hangover from the Thanksgiving party the night before.

It's amazing to me how much a life can change in a single day like that.  The night before I was living in a world of randomness.  I didn't know what I was going to be doing from one night to the next, and I didn't have any type of long term plan in regards to starting a family.  Spontaneous fun is great and all, but it tended to leave one a bit empty late at night.  Now here I am, nearly a year later, and I'm doing contract work with plans of paying off debt and moving into a more family friendly house.

I'm sure lots of folks would argue about our methods, and I'd be surprised to find out no one criticized us behind our backs.  We weren't married.  Hell, we were actually far from it.  Still, our feelings for each other have always been there, and we've always been close.  My real feelings came to me that day on Friday, November 14th, of 2009 when Kim told me that she was pregnant.  Though it took me a good full hour to grasp what she was telling me, neither of us hesitated.  My mind was reeling with thoughts of spreading the word and moving onward with our lives together.

I think both of us got a real kick out of telling our families, and everyone of them were overjoyed and extremely supportive.  I find myself anxious for holidays this year...unlike previous ones.  It seems children really do bring families closer together.  

Like I said, it's just crazy how much your life can change in a single moment. 

Ah well, I hear the little one stirring around.  Time for her late night feeding, and then sleep for her and her mommy and daddy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment