Monday, August 9, 2010

1 month of being a dad - thoughts

So I decided to start a daddy blog at Fiona's 1 month birthday. That was last Sunday. Obviously, being a daddy is more time consuming than I realized, as this is the first chance I've had to actually post!

First impressions are that I didn't quite take into account just how little babies sleep (or should I say how many times they wake up during the night) the first few months. Somehow I had it figured out that babies were only rough the first month or so...upon further research I realize that she potentially won't sleep through the night for the whole first year! It's been very difficult for Kim and I to adjust, but so far I think we're doing well. The most frustrating part of her fussy nights is MY frustration. I thought by the age of 31 I'd have learned to control my anger pretty well, but there's nothing like a baby screaming at the top of her lungs directly in your ear knowing full well you've done everything you can for her.

Still, it's gotten much easier, and I've always managed to quell my desire to yell at her, though the stern daddy voice has definitely emerged once or twice :).

Kim and I are adjusting well and have even developed some patterns and a general schedule. I think they could still use some work, but I'm very pleased with how well we both seem to be at communicating with each other. Don't get me wrong, we both lose our cool from time to time, but the turn around apology times are always quick.

Originally this post was going to be about reflection of the past year, but I think I'll hold off on that for the time being. I rarely get time for posting, and that type of post is much more involved. (I attempted to start that one twice, and after it sat on the page for 4 days I gave up...hard to get my mind into it when I'm constantly side-tracked ;) )

So there, first post complete. I hope to be adding funny stories and introspective views on fatherhood as Fiona grows up, as well as what it'll be like when we have our next baby ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment